The Joy of Finding What Was Never Truly Lost
Today, as I sat wondering what to write for a blog, though I don’t write regularly, a simple moment from the past few days quietly found its way into my thoughts and refused to leave.
For the past few days, there was a quiet despair that lingered in the corners of our home, subtle yet deeply felt.
Two small pen drives had gone missing. They were just tiny devices, but they carried more than ten gigabytes of my important work. I searched everywhere, not once but repeatedly. Drawers were opened again and again, bags were checked, shelves were cleared, and even the smallest corners were not ignored. Still, they were nowhere to be found.
My daughter had taken them, as she sometimes does. Whenever I asked her, she would honestly admit it, but then say the same thing, “I don’t remember where I kept them.” I could sense she was not hiding anything. It was simply a child’s forgetfulness. Yet, as a parent, the concern remained.
Literally, we kept on searching for five days. Five days of looking, thinking, retracing steps, and wondering what exactly had been lost. The uncertainty was heavier than the loss itself.
And then today, something unexpectedly beautiful happened. She found them. Not after pressure. Not after being pushed. Just like that, in her own time, she came and gave them to me.
But what touched me the most was not the pen drives. It was her joy. She was happier than I was.
For me, it was a moment of relief. For her, it was a moment of achievement.
In that instant, all the frustration of those five days disappeared. It no longer felt like a stressful search. It felt like a quiet lesson.
Children may forget where they keep things, but they do not forget their sincerity. They carry a genuine desire to make things right, even if it takes time. Sometimes, what they need from us is not repeated questioning, but patience.
I had almost given up, convinced I would never find them. For five days, we searched everywhere, the same places again and again, in and out, hoping each time it might finally turn up.
These five days were not just about losing and finding two pen drives. They were about patience. They were about trust. They were about understanding a child’s heart.
And today, I didn’t just find what was lost. I understood something deeper.
Dr. Jayaram Paul,
Educator, Thinker
Comments
Post a Comment