Daddy, I’m fine!
We were on our bike. It was drizzling lightly. I was riding slowly, at less than 30 km/h, because my little daughter was asleep, sitting between us safely between me and my wife.
As we were going, I noticed a bus coming from behind. It was getting too close to us. I never imagined that it would actually hit our bike.
What happened in the next few seconds is still not clear in my mind. I only remember that the bus hit our bike. My wife and daughter fell onto the road.
Although the bus hit us, I somehow managed to keep control of the bike. But the moment I realized that my wife and daughter had fallen, I instinctively jumped off the bike and ran to them.
My wife had some injuries. When I first looked at my daughter, I thought she was fine. Her hair had fallen over her forehead, and I could not see the wound. Then I noticed blood slowly dripping down.
My heart sank. As a father, that was one of the most frightening moments of my life. I can still see that image in my mind.
I lost my composure. I spoke angrily to the bus driver and fellowman. The driver admitted their mistake. They said that while trying to give way to another vehicle, they had moved too close and collided with us.
We rushed to the hospital. When I saw my daughter’s injury, I felt completely helpless. Seeing her injured was one of the most painful experiences of my life. As a father, I could endure my own pain, but seeing my child hurt was almost unbearable.
I was so overwhelmed that I did not even ask her whether she was okay. How could I? when she's already wounded. I was sitting helplessly beside her, weighed down by fear and anxiety, watching my little girl injured and bleeding.
Then, in that difficult moment, my little daughter looked at me and said: “Daddy, I’m fine.”
Those three words touched me deeply. Though she was the one who was hurt and in pain, she was still trying to comfort me.
I cannot describe what I felt in that moment. Fear, love, gratitude, and pain all came together at once. Her courage, innocence, and concern for her father brought tears to my eyes.
What moved me even more was a thought that had been recurring in my mind before the accident.
Even before the accident, several times during the journey, something inside me kept telling me to stop and fill petrol. I knew the fuel was getting low. But I told myself that the bike had not yet gone into reserve, so I could continue.
Just moments before the accident, we had passed another petrol pump only a few meters away. I ignored that inner prompting. And then the accident happened.
Was it merely a coincidence? Or was it one of those subtle reminders from God that we often fail to heed? I do not know. But I know this: God protected us.
The injuries could have been far worse. What might have ended in tragedy became instead a testimony of divine mercy.
That day reminded me how fragile life is. A single second can change everything. It also reminded me of the strength God places in our children, and of the extraordinary love that exists within a family.
Most of all, it reminded me to listen more carefully to the quiet warnings that arise in our hearts.
I thank God Almighty for His protection. And I thank my brave little daughter, whose words, “Daddy, I’m fine,” will remain with me forever.
DJP
Comments
Post a Comment