Surviving Without My Phone: A Reflection on Digital Dependence
Yesterday was a day that reminded me how deeply we rely on our phones, and yet, how we can manage without them.
It started early in the morning. There was no electricity due to a heavy rainfall that had uprooted a giant tree. Unfortunately, my phone was nearly dead, with less than 10% battery left from the previous day. I usually avoid leaving my phone plugged in overnight, worried about overcharging. So, I was caught in a bind: the phone was almost drained, and the light wasn’t coming back anytime soon.
I called the electricity department, and they assured me that power would be restored shortly. So, I waited. Slowly, the battery percentage ticked down: 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… 1. All the while, I resisted using the phone. I didn’t want to risk being completely disconnected in case an important call came through. I waited patiently until the electricity finally returned in the evening.
This experience made me realize something important: the common notion that it’s “impossible to survive without a phone” is exaggerated. For me, survival was not just possible, rather, it was a quiet reminder of self-discipline and patience.
Yes, the phone has become an inevitable part of our daily life. It connects us to family, friends, work, and the world. The internet too has become almost indispensable, providing information, entertainment, and social interaction at our fingertips. Yet, when we give it more importance than it truly deserves, we risk creating dependency rather than convenience.
I remember the early days, around 2008-2009, when I first used a Java-powered multimedia phone. Back then, 1 GB data was more than enough to last an entire month. Today, even 2 GB data per day feels insufficient. Our needs and our attachments have grown exponentially.
My day without using the phone was a small experiment, a gentle reminder that we are not as dependent as we think. It’s up to us to set boundaries, to use technology as a tool, not as a crutch.
Perhaps, sometimes, disconnecting, even for a few hours, can teach us more about patience, perspective, and self-control than staying constantly connected ever could.
Written by:
Dr. Jayaram Paul
Educator, Tech Enthusiast
ISEA Certified Cyber Hygiene Practitioner
Comments
Post a Comment