When Love Corrects
A child may not understand the reason for correction today, but one day, love will make her see the heart behind it.
On 13 November 2025, I was with my three-year-old daughter, Happy. I let her go out to play, and I too went along with her. After some time, I returned to the room and called her many times to stop playing and come back, for all the children had gone for dinner and she was alone.
After a while, a few children came out again, and she joined them. When I went down to call her, she was not there. I asked a child who had been playing with her, and she said Happy had already gone home. But she had not. I searched around and finally found her a little far away, playing with some other children.
I told her to stop playing and come home, but she did not listen. It was very cold, and she was not wearing a sweater. For the past two days, she had not been feeling well either. Since she refused to come on her own, I took her back home. She cried badly, wanting to go out again. She had already played for an hour, but I did not allow her because of the cold weather. Her crying became louder and longer, and in frustration, I beat her.
Even after that, she did not stop crying. I could see she was in pain, yet she kept crying, not out of fear or anger, but with a longing to play. She cried continuously for a long time.
Usually, when she cries or when I scold her, the moment I call her or gesture to come, she immediately runs to me, forgetting everything. But today, she kept crying, covering her face with her tiny hands, looking at me through the gaps between her fingers, waiting, hoping I would call her or make a gesture.
But I did not.
Finally, she came to me on her own. I took her in my arms and said sorry. I told her why I had beaten her. She seemed to understand. She said she was sleepy and wanted me to sleep beside her. I lay down, and she too lay close to me. I said sorry many times. Though I had a reason for correcting her, I still felt the need to ask forgiveness. She too said sorry. Perhaps she understood.
As I was lying there, holding my phone, she gently took it from my hand, kept it aside, and said softly, “Daddy, sleep.”
Even though I had beaten her, I felt very bad inside. I could not hold it, and tears started rolling down my face as I lay there. Seeing this, she looked at me in her innocency and asked, “What is this water coming?” When a drop fell, she laughed on seeing it dip down. Watching her laugh so innocently, I too felt a little light inside.
Though I did not feel sleepy, I lay down, thinking that it would comfort her. She then adjusted the pillow and covered me with a blanket.
Now, it is 14 November 2025, 12:39 a.m. As I write this, she is sleeping beside me, her head resting on my chest.
One day, when she grows up, she will understand why I shouted, why I corrected her, and why love sometimes comes with pain.
True love does not always smile; sometimes it corrects, sometimes it hurts, but always it heals.
A Father’s Reflection
Dr. Jayaram Paul
Comments
Post a Comment