A Duplicate UPI Transaction of ₹1,500 That Taught Me a Lesson
A few moments in life remind us that being careful with our finances is just as important as earning money.
Today, on 21 June 2026, while scrolling through my transaction history to locate a particular payment, I accidentally noticed something unusual. A UPI transaction of ₹1,500 that I had made on 23 May 2026 appeared twice in my statement.
At first, I thought it might be a display error. But when I checked both entries carefully, I was surprised to find that the payee name, UPI ID, transaction date, and even the transaction time were exactly the same.
Curious to understand what had happened, I tried to recall the incident. Then it came back to me.
On that day, I had initiated a payment of ₹1,500. The transaction seemed to be taking longer than usual to process. Assuming that it might not have gone through, I initiated the payment again. Later, I did not verify whether one or both transactions had been completed. Since I had not received any notification that caught my attention, the matter slipped from my mind.
Nearly a month later, I discovered that the amount had actually been deducted twice. Using the UPI details available in the transaction record, I contacted the shopkeeper, explained the situation, and politely requested a refund of the extra payment.
This experience taught me a simple but important lesson: be vigilant while making online payments.
When a transaction appears to be taking longer than expected, avoid making repeated payment attempts immediately. First, check the transaction status, your bank balance, or the payment history. If necessary, wait for a few minutes before trying again.
Likewise, if a transaction fails but the amount is deducted from your account, keep a record of it and follow up promptly. Although many such transactions are automatically reversed, delays can occur, and unresolved cases may go unnoticed if we do not keep track of them.
Digital payments have made life easier and faster, but convenience should never replace caution. A few seconds of verification can save us from unnecessary financial loss and future inconvenience.
My ₹1,500 may eventually be refunded, but the lesson I learned is worth far more than the amount involved. Sometimes, a small oversight becomes a valuable reminder to stay vigilant in a digital world.
Dr. Jayaram Paul
Digital Awareness Promoter (CIET, ME & ISEA, 2024)
ISEA Certified Cyber Enthusiast (2023, by CIET)
ISEA Certified Cyber Hygiene Practitioner (2022, 2024, by CIET, ME & ISEA)
Comments
Post a Comment